For all Drumset Players
Drumset Concepts Volume II: Advanced Jazz Comping in the Swing Style – Articulation of Long and Short, Singing Jazz syllables, Triplet Independence, Transcriptions with Analysis
- Designed for all levels, emphasizing intermediate to advanced
- Focus on swing in 4/4 and 3/4 time
- For beginners: creating jazz vocalizations, and voicing with drums and cymbals
- For intermediate and advanced players: methods of employing long sounds with set-ups, triplet independence studies, transcriptions of master players
- Interactive PDF:
- Internal links from table of contents to document sections
- external links to audio and video materials
- external links to jazz recordings with commentary on transcriptions from select recordings
Volume II begins with a discussion of how to vocalize articulated passages for matching horn players in the jazz swing context. Long and short articulations are mastered though a series of exercises. The triplet section merges the articulation concepts with concise independence studies. Transcriptions are presented with analyses relative to rhythmic figure integration - bridging the technical to the practical through listening and imitation. Transcribed players include: Connie Kay, Tutti Heath, Kenny Washington, Max Roach, Art Blakey, Elvin Jones, Sonny Payne and Buddy Rich.
This volume is full of great challenges for players at any level. The concepts presented and developed here will take your jazz playing to higher ground!