ComposerDan Moretti, Matthew Nicholl and Oscar Stagnaro
Essential Grooves for Writing, Performing and Producing Contemporary Music
By three Berklee College professors: Dan Moretti, Matthew Nicholl and Oscar Stagnaro.
Essential Grooves packs everything you need to know about contemporary styles into a must-have reference of audio, scores, and text.
- The book presents 41 different grooves covering all the important styles that have influenced contemporary music, each performed by live players.
- The book/DVD download contains scores, text, and stereo mixes of the musical examples, as well as multi-track audio files of each example that all instrumentalists can use in a variety of ways.
- Users of this book will acquire the vocabulary and gain a deep understanding of each style through the historical background provided.
- The book's unique, license-free audio examples can be used to create custom play-alongs and original music.
- Through Essential Grooves, the user will understand how all the instruments in the rhythm section are notated.
- Used together, the book and the audio will help you to not only learn these styles, but also create original music based on these grooves.
Includes sections on:
- Soul & Motown - Classic Southern Soul, Classic Motown, Soul Ballad, Soul/Funk Transition
- Funk - Early Funk and '70s in the James Brown style, '70s Urban Funk, Straight Funk, New Orleans Funk
- Hip-Hop - Four different Hip Hop grooves demonstrated and notated
- Rock - Five different Rock grooves demonstrated and notated
- Jazz - Classic Swing, Medium Swing, two different Jazz waltz styles
- Afro-Cuban - Danzon, Mambo, Cha-cha-cha, Songo, 6/8 Afro-Cuban
- Brazilian Music - Samba variations, Bossa Nova variations, Partido Alto, Baiao, Afoxe
- Afro-Caribbean - Reggae and Calypso grooves.
95 page text, plus audio CD and multi-track DVD download.
How to use this book: